Updated on 5/22/2020
As we continue grappling with the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak, Amara is here to support you as you support the children in your home and will continue to do all we can to champion the wellbeing of our children and families. We will also update this page with activities and resources to help you and your family through the “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order, so bookmark it if it’s helpful.
If you have other ideas or resources to share, please share on our family Facebook page or with your Foster Care Specialist who can distribute them to others. This is a great time to join our Facebook page if you haven’t already as it’s a wonderful resource for connecting with other families.
Activities for Kids
- Virtual Activity Program. Starting April 20th, Amara will be offering a Virtual Activity Program designed to provide the children in our foster parents’ care with live, instructor-led activities via Zoom. This free service will include a variety of online activities facilitated by Amara Staff and Volunteers. If you are a current foster family and are interested, please reach out to email@example.com.
- Daybreak Circle Time Connections. Join Daybreak Star Indian Cultural Center and Fostering Together for online “Daybreak Circle Time Connections” on Tuesdays from 11:00-11:30am. These fun, virtual meet-ups focus on Indigenous cultural connections for children and their caregivers. The whole family is welcome to participate!
- Free family-friendly shows. Amazon Prime Video is offering free viewing of a number of select family titles to all customers during COVID-19. Just sign in to your Amazon account to access!
- Lunchtime Doodles with Mo Willems. Join Mo Willems for some fun art projects.
- Dance with Debbie Allen. Help your kids get out some energy with these fun dances.
- Legends of Learning. Free math and science games for kids.
- Trinka and Sam Fighting the Big Virus. Check out this story developed to help young children and families talk about their experiences and feelings related to COVID-19. Coloring book, booklet of questions children may ask, and parent guide included.
- Why We Stay Home. Download a free copy of this book written by two medical students featuring two little girls talking about why we are staying at home.
- COVID-19 Time Capsule. A free workbook to commemorate this unique time with versions for kids, adults, expectant parents, new parents and more. Also available in different languages.
Support for Parents
- Five Tips to Make the Most of Video Chats. Use these five tips to help children build relationships, communicate and learn from loved ones on the screen.
- Find social services and resources in your area.
- The Parents Are Not Alright. An article for when you just need to feel seen and heard.
- Sesame Street Resources. Sesame Street is offering content for playful learning, offering children comfort, and focusing on yourself, too.
- Managing COVID-19 Anxiety. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America has helpful tips and strategies to help anyone struggling with anxiety around the coronavirus or with general health anxiety concerns.
- COVID-19 Resource & Information Guide. Published by the National Alliance on Mental Illness, this resource answers frequently asked questions regarding the intersection between COVID-19 and people affected by mental illness, their caregivers, and loved ones. The guide features FAQs on a variety of topics from managing anxiety and social isolation to accessing health care and medications.
For more resources, check out How to Help: Tips and Resources for Foster Parents and Children During the COVID-19 Outbreak.