Amara is committed to positive long-term outcomes for children and families. We drive systemic change, promote healing, and advance racial and LGBTQ+ equity by offering programs and services to families engaged with foster care and to adoptees and families, post-adoption.
At Amara, we believe that a supportive, equitable and inclusive workplace, where everyone feels valued, trusted, and nurtured, is key to shaping organizational culture and investing in underrepresented communities. Amara believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace enhances our ability to fulfill our mission. We strongly invite candidates from diverse backgrounds, including communities of color, the LGBTQIA+ community, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
Amara has an opportunity for an Associate Director of Programs – Youth Development and Community Support.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Amara’s mission, vision, and values. Has strong interpersonal, operational, and administrative skills, enjoys working to improve processes and can engage with a variety of stakeholders.
If you are energized by the Amara mission and thrive on creating and following through on ambitious plans in service to improving children’s well-being, we would love to hear from you.
The Associate Director of Programs – Youth Development and Community Support reports to the Chief Executive Officer and works closely with Amara’s Program leadership team while overseeing Amara’s youth development programing and community support personnel. This role will be responsible for leading the centralization of our educational programing and services for youth encountering, or at risk for encountering, the child welfare system as well as for Amara’s existing foster, birth, kinship, and adoptive families.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Supervision and Management (50%)
- Oversee, support, and develop the program team, including recruitment and retention, hiring, orientation, supervision, evaluation, and promotion of staff in conjunction with Amara’s Human Resource Manager.
- Provide a warm, caring, and confident leadership style that supports a team providing direct services to youth and families.
- Implement program policies, priorities, and procedures consistent with best practice models for effective program implementation.
- Work with staff and build from the work of Amara’s DEI council to develop objective performance measures across the program, to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal setting for all employees.
- Support and directly oversee program staff including Community Support Program Manager, Permanency Support Specialist and Youth Development Specialist (if applicable).
- Provide opportunities for growth and development among staff.
Operational Management (25%)
- Work collaboratively with other Associate Directors of Programs to ensure impactful, efficient, and complementary services across Amara’s service array.
- In partnership with Associate Director of Program Impact and Evaluation, ensure appropriate data collection and reporting to evaluate program impact and efficacy.
- Identify, recommend, and implement program and process improvement in concert with team feedback/guidance.
- Develop, and monitor revenue and expense budget for Youth Development and Community Support program(s). Ensure budgets remain on track, identifying and approving appropriate expenses and costs.
- Looks for methods to improve quality, efficiency, and productivity of program offerings while controlling or reducing costs.
- Demonstrated track record in developing, communicating, implementing, and adapting strategies in rapidly changing environments.
Strategic Leadership (15%)
- Regularly review and recommend changes in program services to meet client needs with emphasis on services for underserved populations
- Collaborate across Amara programs to set goals and metrics for various community support programs and ensure targets are being met.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with other service providers, agencies, and partners to ensure that children and families have excellent access to all needed services
- As a member of the leadership team, this position plays a key role in the development and ongoing promotion of Amara’s mission, vision, philosophy, and culture
- Remain apprised of current trends, practices, and legislation through networking and publications to develop new programs to either meet changing needs in our community or to diversify our services
- Build and coordinate partnerships with key community organizations and partners including government agencies, research institutions, schools, and other social welfare organizations.
- Participate in select internal and external collaborative efforts with key stakeholders/partners to advance systemic child welfare change
- Assess program development and provide leadership in service expansion opportunities
- Coordinate with Communications team on media content regarding issues related to youth development/community initiatives.
- Represent Amara in community meetings, events, and partner and donor meetings
- Serve on select internal and external committees
- Bachelor’s degree in a social services field. (Master’s degree in non-profit leadership, public administration, business, or social work highly preferred).
- 4+ years of leadership experience including program development, leadership development, contract management and financial management.
- 2+ years of experience in team facilitation and a proven track record of effective communications with internal and external partners.
- Project management experience with proven execution of accomplishing deliverables in a defined timeline.
- Broad knowledge of program areas, funders, and community partners.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and juggle priorities while meeting varying deadlines.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to lead group meetings
- Ability to lead with initiative, discretion, maturity, flexibility, and independent judgment
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the various cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of clients and staff
- Demonstrated leadership in promoting the advancement and development of diversity, equity, and inclusion in oneself, staff, and within program development
- Strong decision-making skills, including critical thinking skills. Demonstrated ability to think globally
- Spanish fluency (verbal and written) desired but not required.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full time, 40+ hour per week position with a starting salary of $76,960-88,800, DOE. Generous personal leave and benefits package, including paid time off, paid sabbatical, health, vision and dental insurance, 401k with a company match, life, and disability insurance.
Criminal Background Check
Any final candidate hired into this position must successfully pass a criminal background check performed by the State of Washington.
To express your interest in this position, please submit your resume and one-page cover letter indicating why this position is the right opportunity for you in Smart Recruiters.
Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Amara is an Equal Opportunity Employer