Amara is committed to positive long-term outcomes for children and families. We drive systemic change, promote healing, and advance racial and LGBTQIA+ equity by offering programs and services to families engaged with foster care and to adoptees and families, post-adoption.
At Amara, we believe that a supportive, equitable and inclusive workplace, where everyone feels valued, trusted, and nurtured, is key to shaping organizational culture and investing in underrepresented communities. Amara believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace enhances our ability to fulfill our mission. We strongly invite candidates from diverse backgrounds, including communities of color, the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
The Accounting Clerk works closely with the Staff Accountant and other administrative staff to maintain accurate and complete financial records for the organization. You will have the responsibility of managing accounts receivable and accounts payable, along with assisting in financial reporting and general ledger accounting. This position will cross train on other accounting tasks as needed and provide backup for administrative support for some program services.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Amara’s mission, vision, and values. They will have strong interpersonal and administrative skills with outstanding attention to details, enjoy working to improve processes and be the liaison between the finance, development, and program teams.
The Accounting Clerk reports to the Staff Accountant and works closely with the Administration, Development, and Program teams. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Receives vendor invoices (bills) and seeks approval from the appropriate manager.
- Receives, reviews, and verifies employee expense reimbursement reports with manager approval each month.
- Data entry of approved vendor invoices (bills) and employee expense reimbursement reports into QuickBooks Online.
- E-Files all documentation related to accounts payable activities.
- Prepares accounts payable reports on a regular basis.
- Manages vendor files including up-to-date W-9s, mailing addresses, ACH banking information, contact information, contract status, and more, in conjunction with HR
- Facilitates payment of vendors, which may include verification of federal ID numbers, reviewing purchase orders, federal debarment status, and resolving discrepancies.
- Ensures outstanding obligations are credited upon payment, identifies discount opportunities, and issues purchase order amendments or stop-payment orders as needed.
- Assists with general ledger accounting entries as needed.
- Assists with accounting records and ledgers by reconciling monthly statements and transactions.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Associates degree in business, accounting, or related field; work experience may be substituted with demonstrated ability to understand accounting work
- Previous Accounts Payable/Receivable or other accounting work preferred
- Ability to quickly perform routine tasks with consistent accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and has initiative to take assigned tasks to the next level
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and use logic and available resources
- Experience with QuickBooks preferred
Salary and Benefits
Annual salary range of $50,000-$55,000 DOE. Generous personal leave and benefits package, including paid time off, paid sabbatical, health, vision and dental insurance, 401k with a company match, life, and disability insurance. Amara supports a hybrid work schedule including some flexibility to work-from-home. For mandatory “in-office” days the successful candidate will have the option of working from either our Pierce or King County offices.
Amara requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This requirement is designed to prioritize the safety of the children and families we serve. Exemptions may be sought only for documented medical or religious accommodations.
Criminal Background Check
Because this position has access to confidential client, employee, or financial information OR direct interaction with children, any final candidate hired into this position must successfully pass a criminal background check performed by the State of Washington. Any job offer is contingent on successfully passing this background check.
To express your interest in this position, please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter indicating why this position is the right opportunity for you here.
Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.