Amara is committed to positive long-term outcomes for children and families. We drive systemic change, promote healing, and advance racial and LGBTQIA+ equity by offering programs and services to families engaged with foster care and to adoptees and families, post-adoption.
At Amara, we believe that a supportive, equitable and inclusive workplace, where everyone feels valued, trusted, and nurtured, is key to shaping organizational culture and investing in underrepresented communities. Amara believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace enhances our ability to fulfill our mission. We strongly invite candidates from diverse backgrounds, including communities of color, the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
We are seeking a new Foster Care Specialist to become an integral and valued part of our Placement team working to achieve Amara’s vision. This position will be based from our Tacoma office. While we work to ensure that families are served by their closest office both our Tacoma and Seattle offices work with families from our full-service area which may include families from Lewis to Whatcom counties, but predominately includes families in King and Pierce counties.
This individual will be responsible for providing a wide range of services (including assessment, licensing, and case management) on behalf of children in need of permanency. The majority of this work is licensing and case management which includes direct work with families and children, including:
- Foster family licensing maintenance and re-licensing support, including assessing families’ capacity for fostering and completing associated reports
- Supporting families in determining which children to welcome into their home
- Post-placement monitoring throughout each placement
- Family support throughout the entirety of each family’s license
- Ensuring that the physical, emotional, and social needs of foster children placed in Amara foster homes are met
- Liaising with multiple professionals in the child welfare arena
- Participating in the facilitation of family trainings and support groups
- Meeting requirements for timely, accurate, and thorough documentation for case files
- Making referrals for community services for children and families as needed
- Attending and participating in staff meetings and trainings as required
- Flexing hours to accommodate family needs on an occasional and ongoing basis (ask that staff provide at minimum one night a week for evening appointments)
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of paid social service experience – or – a master’s degree and one year of paid social service experience are required. A practicum may be considered as a substitute for one year of paid experience. Degree(s) must be in social services, human services, behavioral science, or an allied field
- Knowledge of child development and family systems
- Strong written and oral communication skills; experience communicating through verbal and written formats with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, discretion, maturity, flexibility, and independent judgment
- Ability to work with all groups across age, religion, race, culture, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and gender identity
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work in tandem with an outstanding professional team
- Must be at least 21 years old, and have a valid Washington State driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and proof of auto insurance
Criminal Background Check
Because this position has access to confidential client, employee, or financial information OR direct interaction with children any final candidate hired into this position must successfully pass a criminal background check performed by the State of Washington. Any job offer is contingent on successfully passing this background check. A list of disqualifying convictions for this position is available here.
Amara requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This requirement is designed to prioritize the safety of the children and families we serve. Exemptions may be sought only for documented medical or religious accommodations.
Salary and Benefits
$52,743.60-$53,500, DOE. Generous personal leave and benefits package, including paid time off, paid sabbatical, health, vision and dental insurance, 401k with a company match, life, and disability insurance.
To express your interest in this position, please submit your resume, professional writing sample of 1-5 pages, and a one-page cover letter indicating why this position is the right opportunity for you in Smart Recruiters.
Resumes submitted without a cover letter and writing sample will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed until 03/01/2022.
Amara is an Equal Opportunity Employer