Amara offers our services to families and individuals inclusive of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, race, religion and marital status. In addition:
- You can be single, married, or partnered.
- You must be 21 years old or older.
- You can live in an apartment or a house and must have at least two bedrooms.
- You can have other children living in your home or adult children no longer living with you.
- You must pass a child abuse and criminal background check.*
- You must be able to physically care for a child.
- You must commit to living in Washington State for a minimum of 3 years.
*While there are some crimes that permanently disqualify an applicant from foster care or adoption, a past criminal charge or conviction will not necessarily preclude you from moving forward. We will assess criminal history as we do all other aspects of your individual and family background – in terms of its relation to your ability to provide a safe and nurturing home for children. Please call us at 206.260.1700 with any questions.