someone close to you been separated from their parents or their child by the state?
Amara CaRES Kinship program (in partnership with the Alliance’s CaRES program) provides support to kinship families across the state who are caring for kids who have entered the foster care system. Entering the foster care system means that the state has made the decision that your kin are not safe being cared for by their parents and are working with you to temporarily care for them.
Here’s how we can help:
- Basic support – We provide info about resources in the community around housing, childcare, mental health, and other related issues. We can also help families find and apply for financial resources like non-needy TANF and concrete goods.
- Assistance with the licensing process – We help kinship caregivers complete the foster license application, determine which agency to go through for licensing, and help them sign up for Caregiver Core Training (CCT) which is required for all families who want to become a licensed home.
- Support Groups – There are groups across the state that provide local geographically diverse groups for kinship caregivers. For a list of support groups that welcome all kinship caregivers, regardless of whether or not the state is involved with your caregiving, visit the DSHS kinship support services webpage.
- Support for LGBTQIA+ Foster or Kinship Caregivers – We provide tailored, one-on-one support for LGBTQIA+ caregivers across the state when facing unique challenges or barriers related to their SOGIE (Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity and Expression). Contact LGBTQCaRES@amarafamily.org for assistance.
- Support for Foster or Kinship Caregivers Supporting LGBTQIA+ Youth – We provide tailored, one-on-one support for any caregivers having challenges related to caring for a LGBTQIA+ youth in their home. Contact LGBTQCaRES@amarafamily.org for assistance.
Meet our team! Read this Amara blog post to learn more about Trey, Brittney, and Cristina. For more information about our kinship services, email us at KinshipCaRES@amarafamily.org.